I currently make a packed lunch for the two eldest to take to school about 90% of the time. In a couple of weeks I'm going to have to be packing one for myself and for the wee one to take to nursery as well. Although the boys are, for the most part, quite happy with sandwiches I know full well I'll be sick of them after a week if I have to eat them every day. Elise is quite a good eater and will have a go at most things for her lunch so I'd to make sure her nursery lunches are as varied as the ones she currently enjoys at home with me.
I boiled some eggs last night to make the boys sandwiches with today and ended up with a couple spare sitting in the fridge. I quite fancied some pasta so decided to make a cold pasta salad with whatever we had in the fridge for me and Elise's lunch today (Hence the name) and what I came up with was really very tasty and would be perfect to pop in a tupperware tub and take for a packed lunch. It's also pretty healthy for you and the kids.
* Dried Pasta
* Low fat mayonnaise
* 2 hard-boiled eggs
* Cherry tomatoes
* Red onion
* Cheddar cheese
* Boil your eggs and allow to cool completely (I made mine the night before and put them in the fridge overnight)
* Cook your pasta until cooked, drain and rinse in cold water. Drain thoroughly (you don't want it too damp)
* Put the drained an cooled pasta in a bowl and add a good 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise - enough to coat all the pasta well.
* Chop up your eggs, tomatoes, cucumber and red onion and stir through. Grate some cheese through and mix it all up.
* Season lightly - obviously if you are making this for kids you might want to leave the salt out but it is very nice with a little bit of pepper through it.
* Serve on its own, or with some nice crusty bread and a leafy salad.
Really simple and you can add whatever veg you want - whatever you have in the salad drawer! I think it would be nice with some grated carrot through it too. You can really add or take away whatever you want from it. I'd love to hear from anyone who gives this a go.